THE CORRELATION BETWEEN REPORTED SPEECH MASTERY AND SPEAKING ABILITY OF THE SECOND YEAR STUDENTS OF SMKN 1 PEKANBARU

Zelly Putriani, (2011) THE CORRELATION BETWEEN REPORTED SPEECH MASTERY AND SPEAKING ABILITY OF THE SECOND YEAR STUDENTS OF SMKN 1 PEKANBARU. Skripsi thesis, Universitas Islam Negeri Sultan Syarif Kasim Riau.

[img]
Preview
Text
2011_2011446.pdf

Download (765kB) | Preview

Abstract

This research is a correlational research. It is conducted to find out the significant correlation between reported speech mastery and speaking ability of the second year students of SMKN 1 Pekanbaru. On the writer study, the students were found difficult to express their ideas in speaking. There were two variables used in this research. The first is X variable (students’ reported speech mastery) and the second is Y variable (students’ speaking ability). The subject of this research was the second year students’ of SMKN 1 Pekanbaru while the object of this research was reported speech mastery and speaking ability. The instruments used in this research were tests. For reported speech mastery, the writer used written test in the form of multiple choice. In the multiple choice completion, the writer provided the student with incomplete sentences followed by four multiple-choice options for completing the sentence. Then, for speaking ability, the writer provided picture-cued story-telling with direct speech to test the students’ oral production. The population of the research was 85 students. Then, in taking the sample, the writer employed total sampling technique. So, the sample for the research should be 85 students. But, due to several reasons, only 76 students could participate in this research. By using product moment formula through SPSS 17.00 in analyzing the data, the writer found that the r null was 0.517 and the r table was 0.226 at the level of 5% and 0.294 at the level of 1%. In other words, the r null is higher than the r table either at the level of 5 % or 1% (H0 is rejected and Ha is accepted). It means that there is a significant correlation between reported speech mastery and speaking ability. Furthermore, the writer also found that the reported speech mastery’s influence in speaking ability was 26.73%. In conclusion, the speaking ability of the second year students of SMKN 1 Pekanbaru was determined by their mastery in reported speech. It was 26.73%. Then, the other 73.27% was influenced by other factors.

Item Type: Thesis (Skripsi)
Subjects: 300 Ilmu Sosial > 370 Pendidikan > 373 Pendidikan Tingkat Sekolah Lanjutan > 373.238 Sekolah Menengah Atas, SMA
Divisions: Fakultas Tarbiyah dan Keguruan > Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris
Depositing User: eva sartika
Date Deposited: 30 Dec 2015 08:10
Last Modified: 30 Dec 2015 08:10
URI: http://repository.uin-suska.ac.id/id/eprint/276

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item